Crossword Clue & Answers
3 December 2021
Last seen in: Evening Standard Quick Crossword
We found 14 answers for the crossword clue 'Swell', the most recent of which was seen in the Evening Standard Quick Crossword.
We've seen this clue in both CRYPTIC and NON-CRYPTIC crossword publications.
We have given Swell a popularity rating of 'Very Common' because it has featured in a numerous crossword publications and has multiple answers.
As well as being a clue we've also seen Swell as an answer itself some 166 times.
Swell is a single word clue made up of 5 letters.
We most recently saw this clue in 'Evening Standard Quick Crossword' on Thursday, 09 December 2021 with the answer being DILATE, but the most popular answer for this clue is DISTEND.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 9 Dec 2021
- Irish Independent - Simple - 21 Oct 2021
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 12 Jul 2021
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 16 Jun 2021
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 14 May 2021
- Irish Independent - Simple - 13 May 2021
- Evening Standard Easy Crossword - 2 Mar 2021
- The New York Times Crossword - 12 Feb 2021
- Irish Independent - Simple - 14 Aug 2020
- The Guardian Quick - 6 Aug 2020
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Swell', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Swell' and give you a hint.
- A crescendo followed by a decrescendo
- A man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- Come up, as of a liquid; "Tears well in her eyes"; "the currents well up"
- Come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things); "Strong emotions welled up"; "Smoke swelled from it"
- Become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
- Cause to become swollen; "The water swells the wood"
- Increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; "The music swelled to a crescendo"
- The undulating movement of the surface of the open sea
- A rounded elevation (especially one on an ocean floor)
- Expand abnormally; "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
- Very good; "he did a bully job"; "a neat sports car"; "had a great time at the party"; "you look simply smashing"
Cultivate by growing, often involving improvements by means of agricultural techniques; "The Bordeaux region produces great red wines"; "They produce good ham in Parma"; "We grow wheat here"; "We raise hogs here"
A movement like that of a sudden occurrence or increase in a specified phenomenon; "a wave of settlers"; "troops advancing in waves"
Become bloated or swollen or puff up; "The dead man's stomach was bloated"
Cause to bulge or swell outwards
Rise rapidly; "the dollar soared against the yen"
Become wider; "His pupils were dilated"
Grow vigorously; "The deer population in this town is thriving"; "business is booming"
Of something resembling a peach in color
Large tough nonrigid bag filled with gas or heated air
Swell from or as if from internal pressure; "The distended bellies of the starving cows"
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Swell . If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.