Crossword solutions & Synonyms for
17 October 2020 Evening Standard Easy Crossword
We have 4 answers for the crossword clue Strike
. We last saw the 'Strike' clue in Evening Standard Easy Crossword on Tuesday, 20 October 2020.Read more about the crossword clue 'Strike'.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Strike', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Strike' and give you a hint.
- A conspicuous success; "that song was his first hit and marked the beginning of his career"; "that new Broadway show is a real smasher"; "the party went with a bang"
- (baseball) a pitch that the batter swings at and misses, or that the batter hits into foul territory, or that the batter does not swing at but the umpire judges to be in the area over home plate and between the batter's knees and shoulders; "this pitcher throws more strikes than balls"
- A score in tenpins: knocking down all ten with the first ball; "he finished with three strikes in the tenth frame"
- A group's refusal to work in protest against low pay or bad work conditions; "the strike lasted more than a month before it was settled"
- A gentle blow
- An attack that is intended to seize or inflict damage on or destroy an objective; "the strike was scheduled to begin at dawn"
- Cause to form (an electric arc) between electrodes of an arc lamp; "strike an arc"
- Make a strategic, offensive, assault against an enemy, opponent, or a target; "The Germans struck Poland on Sept. 1, 1939"; "We must strike the enemy's oil fields"; "in the fifth inning, the Giants struck, sending three runners home to win the game 5 to 2"
- Deliver a sharp blow, as with the hand, fist, or weapon; "The teacher struck the child"; "the opponent refused to strike"; "The boxer struck the attacker dead"
- Indicate (a certain time) by striking; "The clock struck midnight"; "Just when I entered, the clock struck"
- Smooth with a strickle; "strickle the grain in the measure"
- Remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line; "Please strike this remark from the record"; "scratch that remark"
- Produce by ignition or a blow; "strike fire from the flintstone"; "strike a match"
- Arrive at after reckoning, deliberating, and weighing; "strike a balance"; "strike a bargain"
- Produce by manipulating keys or strings of musical instruments, also metaphorically; "The pianist strikes a middle C"; "strike `z' on the keyboard"; "her comments struck a sour note"
- Hit against; come into sudden contact with; "The car hit a tree"; "He struck the table with his elbow"
- Form by stamping, punching, or printing; "strike coins"; "strike a medal"
- Occupy or take on; "He assumes the lotus position"; "She took her seat on the stage"; "We took our seats in the orchestra"; "She took up her position behind the tree"; "strike a pose"
- Drive something violently into a location; "he hit his fist on the table"; "she struck her head on the low ceiling"
- Cause to experience suddenly; "Panic struck me"; "An interesting idea hit her"; "A thought came to me"; "The thought struck terror in our minds"; "They were struck with fear"
- Affect or afflict suddenly, usually adversely; "We were hit by really bad weather"; "He was stricken with cancer when he was still a teenager"; "The earthquake struck at midnight"
- Pierce with force; "The bullet struck her thigh"; "The icy wind struck through our coats"
- Have an emotional or cognitive impact upon; "This child impressed me as unusually mature"; "This behavior struck me as odd"
- Find unexpectedly; "the archeologists chanced upon an old tomb"; "she struck a goldmine"; "The hikers finally struck the main path to the lake"
- Stop work in order to press demands; "The auto workers are striking for higher wages"; "The employees walked out when their demand for better benefits was not met"
- Attain; "The horse finally struck a pace"
- Touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly; "Light fell on her face"; "The sun shone on the fields"; "The light struck the golden necklace"; "A strange sound struck my ears"
We found 1 anagrams for the word 'Strike'.
(baseball) a successful stroke in an athletic contest (especially in baseball); "he came all the way around on Williams' hit"
Stingless male bee in a colony of social bees (especially honeybees) whose sole function is to mate with the queen
Wipe out digitally or magnetically recorded information; "Who erased the files form my hard disk?"
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Strike. If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.
Sign In or Register to post a new answer.