Crossword solutions & Synonyms for
17 October 2020 Evening Standard Easy Crossword
We have 5 answers for the crossword clue Stop
. We last saw the 'Stop' clue in Evening Standard Easy Crossword on Tuesday, 20 October 2020.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Stop', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Stop' and give you a hint.
- A brief stay in the course of a journey; "they made a stopover to visit their friends"
- The act of stopping something; "the third baseman made some remarkable stops"; "his stoppage of the flow resulted in a flood"
- A restraint that checks the motion of something; "he used a book as a stop to hold the door open"
- An obstruction in a pipe or tube; "we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe"
- A mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens; "the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically"
- (music) a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes; "the organist pulled out all the stops"
- A punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations; "in England they call a period a stop"
- A spot where something halts or pauses; "his next stop is Atlanta"
- A consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it; "his stop consonants are too aspirated"
- The event of something ending; "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- Stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments; "Hold on a moment!"
- Hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- Seize on its way; "The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country's airspace"
- Put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
- Prevent completion; "stop the project"; "break off the negotiations"
- The state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- Cause to stop; "stop a car"; "stop the thief"
- Come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
- Interrupt a trip; "we stopped at Aunt Mary's house"; "they stopped for three days in Florence"
- Have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
- Render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
- Stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
We found 3 anagrams for the word 'Stop'.
- The delivery and collection of letters and packages; "it came by the first post"; "if you hurry you'll catch the post"
- An act that brings discredit to the person who does it; "he made a huge blot on his copybook"
- Of the highest quality; "an ace reporter"; "a crack shot"; "a first-rate golfer"; "a super party"; "played top-notch tennis"; "an athlete in tiptop condition"; "she is absolutely tops"
Female parent of an animal especially domestic livestock
An interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement; "a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
Put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
Choose not to consume; "I abstain from alcohol"
Terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position; "The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Stop. If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.
Sign In or Register to post a new answer.