Crossword Clue & Answers
25 November 2021
Last seen in: Evening Standard Quick Crossword
We found 24 answers for the crossword clue 'Shut', the most recent of which was seen in the Evening Standard Quick Crossword.
This clue looks to be a standard clue as in it's a NON-CRYPTIC crossword based on the publications in which we have recently seen it.
We have given Shut a popularity rating of 'Very Common' because it has featured in a numerous crossword publications and has multiple answers.
As well as being a clue we've also seen Shut as an answer itself some 123 times.
Shut is a single word clue made up of 4 letters.
We most recently saw this clue in 'Evening Standard Quick Crossword' on Monday, 25 October 2021 with the answer being CLOSE, but the most popular answer for this clue is CLOSED.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 25 Oct 2021
- Evening Standard Easy Crossword - 20 Oct 2021
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 6 Aug 2021
- Irish Times Simplex Crossword - 15 Jul 2021
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 28 Apr 2021
- Evening Standard Easy Crossword - 22 Apr 2021
- The Daily Mail Quick - 22 Mar 2021
- Irish Independent - Simple - 25 Feb 2021
- Evening Standard Quick Crossword - 9 Dec 2020
- Evening Standard Easy Crossword - 3 Dec 2020
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Shut', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Shut' and give you a hint.
- Move so that an opening or passage is obstructed; make shut; "Close the door"; "shut the window"
- Prevent from entering; shut out; "The trees were shutting out all sunlight"; "This policy excludes people who have a criminal record from entering the country"
- Used especially of mouth or eyes; "he sat quietly with closed eyes"; "his eyes were shut against the sunlight"
- Become closed; "The windows closed with a loud bang"
- Not open; "the door slammed shut"
We found 2 anagrams for the word 'Shut'.
- thus (used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result; "therefore X must be true"; "the eggs were fresh and hence satisfactory"; "we were young and thence optimistic"; "it is late and thus we must go"; "the witness is biased and so cannot be trusted"
- Tush The fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
The edge of a piece of cloth; especially the finished edge that has been doubled under and stitched down; "the hem of her dress was stained"; "let down the hem"; "he stitched weights into the curtain's hem"; "it seeped along the hem of his jacket"
Flesh of either hard-shell or soft-shell clams
An enclosure made or wire or metal bars in which birds or animals can be kept
A device incised to make an impression; used to secure a closing or to authenticate documents
An aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect; "his parting shot was `drop dead'"; "she threw shafts of sarcasm"; "she takes a dig at me every chance she gets"
(used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result; "therefore X must be true"; "the eggs were fresh and hence satisfactory"; "we were young and thence optimistic"; "it is late and thus we must go"; "the witness is biased and so cannot be trusted"
The act of obstructing or deflecting someone's movements
The concluding part of any performance
Marked with stripes or bands
Not having an open mind; "a closed mind unreceptive to new ideas"
Make tight or tighter; "Tighten the wire"
Covered with a waterproof coating; "a sealed driveway"
In an unpalatable state; "sour milk"
Not open; "the door slammed shut"
Deprive of freedom; take into confinement
Prevent from entering; keep out; "He was barred from membership in the club"
Block passage through; "obstruct the path"
A defeat in a game where one side fails to score
Not yet opened or unsealed; "unopened Christmas presents"
A barrier (usually thrown up hastily) to impede the advance of an enemy; "they stormed the barricade"
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Shut . If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.