Crossword Clue & Answers
19 July 2021
Last seen in: The Sun Cryptic
We found 20 answers for the crossword clue 'Pretentious', the most recent of which was seen in the The Sun Cryptic.
We've seen this clue in both CRYPTIC and NON-CRYPTIC crossword publications.
We have given Pretentious a popularity rating of 'Very Common' because it has featured in a numerous crossword publications and has multiple answers.
As well as being a clue we've also seen Pretentious as an answer itself some 29 times.
Pretentious is a single word clue made up of 11 letters.
We most recently saw this clue in 'The Sun Cryptic' on Sunday, 18 July 2021 with the answer being AFFECTED, but the most popular answer for this clue is ARTY.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
- The Sun Cryptic - 18 Jul 2021
- The Sun Cryptic - 26 Mar 2021
- The Sun Cryptic - 16 Feb 2021
- The New York Times Crossword - 10 Dec 2019
- The New York Times Crossword - 1 Dec 2019
- The New York Times Crossword - 16 Jul 2019
- The New York Times Crossword - 10 Feb 2019
- The New York Times Mini - 13 Feb 2018
- The New York Times Crossword - 7 Aug 2017
- The New York Times Crossword - 8 Mar 2017
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Pretentious', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Pretentious' and give you a hint.
- Intended to attract notice and impress others; "an ostentatious sable coat"
- Making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction; "a pretentious country house"; "a pretentious fraud"; "a pretentious scholarly edition"
- (of a display) tawdry or vulgar
We found 1 anagrams for the word 'Pretentious'.
Showily imitative of art or artists
Superficially attractive and stylish; suggesting wealth or expense; "a glossy TV series"
Someone who dresses in a trendy fashionable way
Marked by elaborate rhetoric and elaborated with decorative details; "a flowery speech"; "ornate rhetoric taught out of the rule of Plato"-John Milton
(used colloquially) overly conceited or arrogant; "a snotty little scion of a degenerate family"-Laurent Le Sage; "they're snobs--stuck-up and uppity and persnickety"
Of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style; "an exalted ideal"; "argue in terms of high-flown ideals"- Oliver Franks; "a noble and lofty concept"; "a grand purpose"
Artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
Speaking or behaving in an artificial way to make an impression
Ostentatiously lofty in style; "a man given to large talk"; "tumid political prose"
Generating excessive gas in the alimentary canal
Intended to attract notice and impress others; "an ostentatious sable coat"
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Pretentious . If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.