Crossword Clue & Answers
11 May 2021
Last seen in: The Mirror Classic
We found 5 answers for the crossword clue 'Put down', the most recent of which was seen in the The Mirror Classic.
We've seen this clue in both CRYPTIC and NON-CRYPTIC crossword publications.
We have given Put down a popularity rating of 'Very Common' because it has featured in a numerous crossword publications and has multiple answers.
Put down is a 2 word phrase featuring 8 letters.
We most recently saw this clue in 'The Mirror Classic' on Monday, 22 March 2021 with the answer being LAID, we also found LAID to be the most popular answer for this clue.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
- The Mirror Classic - 22 Mar 2021
- The Mirror Classic - 11 Jan 2021
- The Mirror Classic - 23 Sep 2020
- The Guardian Quick - 23 Jul 2020
- The New York Times Crossword - 31 May 2020
- The Daily Mail Smallest Hardest - 11 Mar 2020
- The Guardian Quick - 5 Feb 2020
- The Guardian Quick - 27 Jun 2019
- The Guardian Speedy - 10 Feb 2019
- The New York Times Crossword - 6 Dec 2018
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Put down', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Put down' and give you a hint.
- Make a record of; set down in permanent form
- Leave or unload; "unload the cargo"; "drop off the passengers at the hotel"
- Put in a horizontal position; "lay the books on the table"; "lay the patient carefully onto the bed"
- Cause to come to the ground; "the pilot managed to land the airplane safely"
- Put down in writing; of texts, musical compositions, etc.
- Put (an animal) to death; "The customs agents destroyed the dog that was found to be rabid"; "the sick cat had to be put down"
- Cause to sit or seat or be in a settled position or place; "set down your bags here"
- Reduce in worth or character, usually verbally; "She tends to put down younger women colleagues"; "His critics took him down after the lecture"
Impose as a duty, burden, or punishment; "lay a responsibility on someone"
Set down according to a plan:"a carefully laid table with places set for four people"; "stones laid in a pattern"
Express strong disapproval of; "We condemn the racism in South Africa"; "These ideas were reprobated"
Reduce in worth or character, usually verbally; "She tends to put down younger women colleagues"; "His critics took him down after the lecture"
Conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Put down . If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.