Crossword solutions & Synonyms for
17 December 2020
Last seen in: The Mirror Classic
We found 16 answers for the crossword clue 'Hold back', the most recent of which was seen in the The Mirror Classic.
We've seen this clue in both CRYPTIC and NON-CRYPTIC crossword publications.
We have given Hold back a popularity rating of 'Very Common' because it has featured in a numerous crossword publications and has multiple answers.
Hold back is a 2 word phrase featuring 9 letters.
We most recently saw this clue in 'The Mirror Classic' on Friday, 15 January 2021 with the answer being RESTRAIN, we also found RESTRAIN to be the most popular answer for this clue.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
- The Mirror Classic - 15 Jan 2021
- Irish Times Simplex Crossword - 7 Nov 2020
- Irish Times Simplex Crossword - 23 Oct 2020
- The Mirror Classic - 25 Sep 2020
- The Guardian Speedy - 13 Sep 2020
- The Mirror Classic - 8 Sep 2020
- Irish Independent - Simple - 9 May 2020
- Irish Times Simplex Crossword - 12 Mar 2020
- Irish Independent - Simple - 29 Jan 2020
- The New York Times Crossword - 15 Jan 2020
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Hold back', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Hold back' and give you a hint.
- Hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- Secure and keep for possible future use or application; "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree"
- Keep under control; keep in check; "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"
- Wait before acting; "the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
- Hold back; keep from being perceived by others; "She conceals her anger well"
- Refrain from doing; "she forbore a snicker"
One of a pair of long straps (usually connected to the bit or the headpiece) used to control a horse
A turn made in skiing; the back of one ski is forced outward and the other ski is brought parallel to it
Cause to be slowed down or delayed; "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"
A basket usually with a cover
Block passage through; "obstruct the path"
Secure and keep for possible future use or application; "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree"
Cause to move more slowly or operate at a slower rate; "This drug will retard your heart rate"
A person from whom you are descended
Conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
Formality and propriety of manner
Keep under control; keep in check; "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"
Restrict; "Tighten the rules"; "stiffen the regulations"
A device that retards something's motion; "the car did not have proper restraints fitted"
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Hold back . If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.