Crossword Clue & Answers
25 November 2021
Last seen in: Irish Independent - Simple
We found 20 answers for the crossword clue 'Foil', the most recent of which was seen in the Irish Independent - Simple.
This clue looks to be a standard clue as in it's a NON-CRYPTIC crossword based on the publications in which we have recently seen it.
We have given Foil a popularity rating of 'Very Common' because it has featured in a numerous crossword publications and has multiple answers.
As well as being a clue we've also seen Foil as an answer itself some 146 times.
Foil is a single word clue made up of 4 letters.
We most recently saw this clue in 'Irish Independent - Simple' on Wednesday, 20 October 2021 with the answer being THWART, we also found THWART to be the most popular answer for this clue.
We've seen this clue in the following publications:
Definitions and usage
Before we get to our crossword answers for 'Foil', take a look at the definitions and example uses below, sometimes these help you think of different words or phrases that are common to 'Foil' and give you a hint.
- A light slender flexible sword tipped by a button
- A piece of thin and flexible sheet metal; "the photographic film was wrapped in foil"
- A device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through; "the fins of a fish act as hydrofoils"
- Anything that serves by contrast to call attention to another thing's good qualities; "pretty girls like plain friends as foils"
- Enhance by contrast; "In this picture, the figures are foiled against the background"
- Cover or back with foil; "foil mirrors"
- Picture consisting of a positive photograph or drawing on a transparent base; viewed with a projector
- Hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing September surge"; "foil your opponent"
We found 2 anagrams for the word 'Foil'.
- lifo Inventory accounting in which the most recently acquired items are assumed to be the first sold
Escape, either physically or mentally; "The thief eluded the police"; "This difficult idea seems to evade her"; "The event evades explanation"
A fencing sword similar to a foil but with a heavier blade
Prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening; "Let's avoid a confrontation"; "head off a confrontation"; "avert a strike"
(genetics) the act of mixing different species or varieties of animals or plants and thus to produce hybrids
Turn away from by persuasion; "Negative campaigning will only dissuade people"
A person who is gullible and easy to take advantage of
Beyond or deviating from the usual or expected; "a curious hybrid accent"; "her speech has a funny twang"; "they have some funny ideas about war"; "had an odd name"; "the peculiar aromatic odor of cloves"; "something definitely queer about this town"; "what a rum fellow"; "singular behavior"
Treat with excessive indulgence; "grandparents often pamper the children"; "Let's not mollycoddle our students!"
A flat plate that controls or directs the flow of fluid or energy
Of or relating to or characteristic of Scotland or its people or culture or its English dialect or Gaelic language; "Scots Gaelic"; "the Scots community in New York"; "`Scottish' tends to be the more formal term as in `The Scottish Symphony' or `Scottish authors' or `Scottish mountains'"; "`Scotch' is in disfavor with Scottish people and is used primarily outside Scotland except in such frozen phrases as `Scotch broth' or `Scotch whiskey' or `Scotch plaid'"
A victim of ridicule or pranks
A thwarting and distressing situation
A crosspiece spreading the gunnels of a boat; used as a seat in a rowboat
Detect a blunder or misstep; "The reporter tripped up the senator"
Stop (someone or something) from doing something or being in a certain state; "We must prevent the cancer from spreading"; "His snoring kept me from falling asleep"; "Keep the child from eating the marbles"
Anything that serves by contrast to call attention to another thing's good qualities; "pretty girls like plain friends as foils"
Treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher"
A device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through; "the fins of a fish act as hydrofoils"
The quality of being clear and transparent
Contribute an answer
We do our best to have all the answers for Foil . If you have an answer not listed above please take a moment to contribute it to help others.